- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces almond extract (yes, 2 ounces, this is not a misprint)
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
Large granular sprinkling sugar (can be found in the baking aisle of your local hobby and craft store or grocery store)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light
3. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mixture will be crumbly.
5. Mix until dough forms.
6. Split dough into 3 equal portions and form into logs about 7" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"
7. Refrigerate logs for at least 15 minutes.
8. Place each log on an ungreased cookie sheet.
9. Beat egg add brush onto tops and sides of each log. Sprinkle with decorator sugar.
8. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Logs will spread.
9. Cool logs for about 20 minutes. You can remove them from the cookie sheets at this point. If you have trouble due to sticking from the eggs, take a long sharp knife and slide it underneath each log to loosen from the cookie sheet and transfer to a cutting board.
10. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees F.
11. Slice each log into strips about 3/4" wide. Cooling them makes this part easier
12. Place each strip back on the cookie sheet side up
13. Bake for an additional 15 - 20 minutes. Longer for crisper cookies, shorter for chewier cookies.